Roasted Tomato & Sweet Potato Soup
700g ripe tomatoes – Buy tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large sweet potato – Buy Sweet Potatoes
425ml boiling water
1tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Basil leaves to garnish
Salt & black pepper
Preheat the oven 190C, 375F, gas mark 5
1. Skin the tomatoes and cut each in half. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up in a roasting tray. Top with a drizzle extra virgin olive oil, crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper.
2. Put the tomatoes into the preheated oven and cook for approximately 50minutes, until soft and slightly frazzled.
3. Meanwhile peel and chop the sweet potato into medium sized pieces. Place in a saucepan with the boiling water, tomato puree and some salt and pepper; simmer for 20 minutes, or until soft.
4. When the tomatoes are ready, remove from the oven and place into a food processor or blender, blend. Add the sweet potato with the tomato liquid and blend again.
5. To serve put the soup into a saucepan and heat gently, if too thick add water until the desired texture is achieved. Season to taste.
6. Serve the soup garnished with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread or crisp breads.